Re: question: fixed vs. liquid layout

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:22:33 -0500 (CDT)
To: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> I notice that the problem is seen as a text-line lenght problem. I'd
> like to point out two reading, among many others on the topic:

...neither of which, curiously, mentions what I suspect is a material
issue, namely fixations or saccades. It's been known for a century that
we do not read (at least not immersively) word-by-word or
letter-by-letter, but in chunks, with the eye jumping along the line and
occasionally regressing.

Quite clearly, this has implications when line length and font size are
both tweaked. A narrow line with big fonts has fewer fixations; this may
not lead to easier or faster reading.

--

    Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
    Expect criticism if you top-post