question: fixed vs. liquid layout

From: Maurizio Boscarol <maurizio@usabile.it>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:59:46 +0200
To: W3C WAI <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

I have a question: how should we rule about relative/absolute units for
lenghts?

Do we mean that every layout should be "liquid", or fluid?

Another way of viewing it: is a fixed layout "per se" inaccessible?

Another related question: is a horizontal bar an accessibility (rather
than usability) issue?

Let a part that pixels are defined as relative units, so that checkpoint
3.4 in wcag 1 tends to be very ambiguous. But what we need really to do
to have an accessible layout? Absolutely liquid? ;-)  Ore relatively
short fixed is good enough (just to fit 640 x 480)? Or fixed layouts are
not a problem at all, as long as you can use the horizontal scrollbar?
I've been thinking about it for a long time, and I'd like to hear the wg
opinions.

Thank you

Maurizio Boscarol
http://www.usabile.it/