Re: question: fixed vs. liquid layout

From: Maurizio Boscarol <maurizio@usabile.it>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:59:02 +0200
To: Gregg Vanderheiden <gv@trace.wisc.edu>
Cc: 'W3C WAI' <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

I notice that the problem is seen as a text-line lenght problem. I'd
like to point out two reading, among many others on the topic:

The conclusion is not definitive, but long (full screen) line lenghts
seem to lead to faster reading time than short lines.
The perception af reading efficency is the opposite: no-one think that
long lines are the most efficient (even if they actually are!... ;-).

The preference is towards medium line-lenghts (65 to 75 cpl,
charcatchers per lines) for adults (childrens tends to prefer short
lines, about 45 cpl).

The studies (on monitor, because we can't generalize paper-readability
studies) are not definitive for many reasons: there are many factors
(variables) that affect the results. An incomplete list:

- line lenght in pixel
- Font-size (the experiments are lead with larger font-size than those
usually used in web pages)
- number of scrolling: the shorter the line, the higher the number of
click in scrolling, with usability falling down...
- The screen resolution: with liquid layout at very large resolution the
line-lenght can be really too long... ;-) but a fixed line can be really
too short!

So my point was not really on deciding which text-line-lenght is
optimal, cause that can be tricky, but if a fixed layout can be seen as
an accessibility impairment. And at which conditions: are there some
"good fixed-layout practice"? Some sites (as alistapart) use a fixed
measure (597px) that work at any screen resolution, even if with
different usability... Some others (like Marco's layout, as I can see:
it uses 700px) don't. Is that important for accessibility?

And to offer an alternative layout (fixed/liquid) by mean of stylesheet
switching is a good thing, even if that can create a mess with some
image-based layout?

Thank you, bye.

Maurizio Boscarol
http://www.usabile.it/ (liquid layout... ;-))