Re: Are transparent backgrounds a bad idea?

From: Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG <rscano@iwa-italy.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:22:42 +0200
To: "Richard Ishida" <ishida@w3.org>, "'WAI-GL'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Cc: "i18n IG" <w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Ishida" <ishida@w3.org>
To: "'WAI-GL'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Cc: "i18n IG" <w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 12:14 PM
Subject: Are transparent backgrounds a bad idea?

WCAG Folks,

The i18n WG would like to know whether we should be concerned about
using graphics with transparent backgrounds.

This arises from a comment on our Character Model document. The
commenter is worried that someone applies a high contrast stylesheet
(white text on black background) then dark images will no longer be
visible.

We would like to know your thoughts on the matter.

Roberto Scano:
This is the same problem that there is when a developer don't set
foreground or background colors for the body element in CSS: the browser
recognize the preferences in the user agent. If for eg. I set high
contrast in Microsoft Windows (yellow text on black background) and I go
to: http://news.google.com I cannot read the text of the news because
the background color still be white with the text in yellow...