Are transparent backgrounds a bad idea?

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:14:33 +0100
To: "'WAI-GL'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Cc: "i18n IG" <w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org>

WCAG Folks,

The i18n WG would like to know whether we should be concerned about using graphics with transparent backgrounds.

This arises from a comment on our Character Model document. The commenter is worried that someone applies a high contrast stylesheet (white text on black background) then dark images will no longer be visible.

We would like to know your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,
RI

Richard Ishida
W3C