RE: Are transparent backgrounds a bad idea?

From: Lisa Seeman <seeman@netvision.net.il>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:42:18 +0300
To: 'Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG' <rscano@iwa-italy.org>, 'Richard Ishida' <ishida@w3.org>, 'WAI-GL' <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Cc: 'i18n IG' <w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org>

I see two different issues hear

> The i18n WG would like to know whether we should be concerned
> about using graphics with transparent backgrounds.

yes this can be a problem for important graphics that are not in in a
user configurable format like SVG

But the problem is not solved in full by a solid background -because it
is still not configurable so the user agent can not configure the
contrast of the picture.

That is why SVG is y far the best format for accessible graphics.

> Roberto Scano:
> This is the same problem that there is when a developer don't
> set foreground or background colors for the body element in
> CSS:
This is less of a problem because hear the user agent knows the
foreground color and can , easily, add a background were one is missing
that is high contrast.

It is a user agent bug more then a content problem

all the best

lisa