RE: Is the word Short measurable

From: David MacDonald <befree@magma.ca>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:09:41 -0400
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
I propose we rewrite:

Level 3 Success Criteria for Guideline 1.5

<current>
1.      Audio content does not contain background sounds OR the background
sounds are at least 20 decibels lower than the foreground audio content with
the exception of occasional short sounds. [V] </current>

<proposed>
1.      Audio content does not contain background sounds OR the background
sounds are at least 20 decibels lower than the foreground audio content with
the exception of occasional short sounds. (where "short" may be defined as
less that 10 seconds and "occasional" may be defined as occurring more
frequently than once every 10 minutes.) [V] </proposed>

In an attempt to make our guidelines testable, I chose 10 seconds as the as
the threshold for the word "short" to allow for what the movie industry
would describe as an airplane passing overhead or a bomb exploding. I chose
10 minutes as the threshold for "occasional" because I think any more
frequency than that would be quite distracting and difficult to follow for a
person who is hard of hearing.

David MacDonald

.Access empowers people...
           .barriers disable them.