RE: Action Item: Additional Examples Guideline 2.5 (user error)

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 10:33:42 -0500 (CDT)
To: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> Level 1 could say something like: It must be possible for all input data
> to be cleared by the user agent, prior to the activation of an application
> function that processes the data. This isn't good wording.

And it isn't good coding, either! It's already possible and it's already a
bad idea. Reset buttons are simple to add via HTML, but can have annoying
or severe consequences if you hit one by accident (as I have actually
done).

<http://joeclark.org/book/sashay/serialization/Chapter12.html#h5-1380>

I can, however, see a use for a reset button for a dyslexic person or
similar. However, it really needs to be backed up by a very clear error
message saying "Are you really sure you want to destroy your
laboriously-crafted data?"

--

    Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
    Expect criticism if you top-post