Structure of plain text (was: Issue 556 and 669

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 10:21:30 -0500 (CDT)
To: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> For the according to spec. question, there is no spec that I know of by
> which one might mark up structure using plain text.

There are in fact several specs that permit user agents to infer structure
from plain text. One of them dates back to 1992.

For the various links, see the most-evolved format, John Gruber and Aaron
Swartz's Markdown, which lets you convert plain text into valid XHTML or
just leave it as readable text.

<http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/>
<http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax#philosophy>

The existence and robustness of these systems challenges the notion that
text needs to be marked up with characters that are invisible in final
reading in order to be considered structured.

 --

    Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
    Expect criticism if you top-post