RE: Content in CSS

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 10:13:07 -0500 (CDT)
To: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> What I meant was that we used to talk about separating presentation from
> content -- and used CSS as the poster child.    Remove the style sheet and
> the page would become linear etc....  Now we are
> also putting content in the style sheet.  So the style sheet becomes part of
> the 'core content' and not a style sheet (as its name implies).

CSS2.1 and CSS3 allow the stylesheet to include its own content.

Eventually, CSS3 will supplant all the current attempts to make image
replacement work. And yes, we need to include such usages when discussing
content-- though that doesn't mean we necessarily put CSS-generated
content on a par with (X)HTML.

And interestingly, some JavaScript implementations (like Nice Titles
<http://www.kryogenix.org/code/browser/nicetitle/>) and even the simple
title attribute could be considered generated content.

    Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
    Expect criticism if you top-post