RE: Content in CSS

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 10:13:07 -0500 (CDT)
To: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> What I meant was that we used to talk about separating presentation from
> content -- and used CSS as the poster child.    Remove the style sheet and
> the page would become linear etc....  Now we are
> also putting content in the style sheet.  So the style sheet becomes part of
> the 'core content' and not a style sheet (as its name implies).

CSS2.1 and CSS3 allow the stylesheet to include its own content.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/selector.html#before-and-after>
<http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-selectors/#gen-content>

Eventually, CSS3 will supplant all the current attempts to make image
replacement work. And yes, we need to include such usages when discussing
content-- though that doesn't mean we necessarily put CSS-generated
content on a par with (X)HTML.

And interestingly, some JavaScript implementations (like Nice Titles
<http://www.kryogenix.org/code/browser/nicetitle/>) and even the simple
title attribute could be considered generated content.

--

    Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
    Expect criticism if you top-post