Re: Action item: [Bugzilla WCAG Issue 660] should 1.6 inlclude level 1 success criteria?

From: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 15:07:17 +1000 (EST)
To: John M Slatin <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

On Tue, 11 May 2004, John M Slatin wrote:

> 1. Text shown over a background can be removed from the background and
> read separately.
>
> </proposed>
This is good, subject to your comment below, of course.

> Comment:
>
> In the end, though, I think this is a special case of a more general
> consideration: that all content meant to be read by humans should be
> provided as electronic text (not as an image of text).  I don't think we
> actually say this anywhere-- the closest we come is in the definition of
> non-text content, which includes "text that cannot be rpresented as
> unicode."

I agree. Guideline 1.1 should satisfy this, and if that is unclear it
should be clarified. We still need a success criterion at level 2 saying
that adequate contrast is provided (i.e., in author-defined
presentations/styles), thereby achieving what has sometimes been called a
more "direct" form of access.