Re: Revised statement on testability (was" Definition of human testability)

From: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 14:50:31 +1000 (EST)
To: John M Slatin <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

On Tue, 11 May 2004, John M Slatin wrote:

> <begin proposed>
> The Working Group believes that tests can show whether Web content
> passes or fails each success criterion. Tests can be done by computer
> programs or by people who understand these guidelines. We believe that
> different people who understand the guidelines will usually get the same
> or very similar results
> when they test the same success criterion.
> </end proposed>
you mean "when they test the same content against the same success
criteria"?
Are you being deliberately vague about what "usually" and "very similar"
mean? For an explanation of what the working group believes has been
achieved this is probably sufficient. In practice we will have to arrive
at a clearer understanding of the conditions under which "usually" and
"very similar" are satisfied. That can probably await detailed discussions
of success criteria, though, and perhaps doesn't have to be, indeed
perhaps cannot be, solved now.

In general I think the proposed wording is clear and expresses what is
intended.