Re: [wcag2] Layout tables

From: Maurizio Boscarol <maurizio@usabile.it>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:32:06 +0200
To: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

Jens Meiert wrote:

>Maurizio,
>

>>We have to distinguish between simple table used to layout basic
>>content [...] and old-fashion, visual-editor based
>>nested and nested tables for layout.
>>

>do we, and where's the difference? (Ain't that the infamous 'Zeldman point
>of view'...?) -- If you use tables according to their semantics, you won't
>use them for layout purposes, and you won't consider creating even the
>simplest grid with them.

Yes, it's the same markup, semantic error. It's not the same if we look
at the difficulties caused to people using assistive technologies or
alternative browsing tools, as I can see.
For me that makes a lot of difference... ;-)

The same difference between serving a validator rather than serving
people. Ok, it's a suggestive declaration, I know... ;-) and I have
nothing against validators, parsers and such algorithmical tools. But I
still prefere people, that's all. If I can't serve both, then I prefer
to serve people.

Where am I wrong?... :)

Maurizio