Re: R: [wcag2] Layout tables

From: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:17:10 +0200 (MEST)
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

Michael Cooper:
> So the approach we are taking is to say "we'd rather you don't use
> layout tables, but if you're going to here's how to make them
> accessible." That's more useful on the whole than saying "since we
> ban layout tables we don't provide techniques to make them
> accessible", leaving authors in the dark and potentially resulting
> in reduced accessibility in practice.

Roberto Castaldo:
> In this strange period, we must try and guide the passage from a
> ruleless and a jungle web to another one, where accessibility should
> be resident into each developer's DNA; in order to obtain this purpose,
> we must try and present accessibility as an opportunity, not as a
> stumbling block to avoid just because it's too hard to face.

If this (offering simple layout tables as an alternative) is explicitly seen
as an interims status, I can cope with that quintessence of the former
discussion -- though I continue to think that a 'prohibition' of layout
related tables would accelerate the entire process (but on the other hand
will, interpreting Michaels remarks, irritate authors willing to adopt WAI

Best regards,

Jens Meiert
Interface Architect (IxD)