RE: Form and label element association

That's the correct: I was *not* proposing placeholder text.

The content of the title attribute would not be visible on the screen,
but would be spoken by screen readers and talking browsers. A visual
prompt is provided by the submit button, which is labeled "Search" (not
simply submit).  At least this is how I understood the situation.

In other words, sighted users see a button labeled "Search" immediately
to adjacent to the empty input field. Visually, then, the button works
like a label.

I think placeholder text would be both redundant and potentially
confusing, because some user agents automatically select the placeholder
text (so that entering the search text would replace the placeholder)
while others do not. In the latter case, a user might enter the search
term but submit a query that also contained the placeholder text,
leading to confusing results.

John

"Good design is accessible design."
Please note our new name and URL!