Re: Form and label element association

From: Maurizio Boscarol <maurizio@usabile.it>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:50:26 +0100
To: "John M Slatin" <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>, "Jens Meiert" <jens.meiert@erde3.com>, "lisa seeman" <seeman@netvision.net.il>
Cc: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

From: "John M Slatin"
> I think placeholder text would be both redundant and potentially
> confusing, because some user agents automatically select the placeholder
> text (so that entering the search text would replace the placeholder)
> while others do not. In the latter case, a user might enter the search
> term but submit a query that also contained the placeholder text,
> leading to confusing results.

I agree with John for most of entry forms.
In other cases, remember that placeholder text can be a useful format entry
help: i.e., dd-mm-yyyy, or so.

So the guidellines should distinguish between the cases.

Maurizio Boscarol
http://www.usabile.it
Ecologia dei siti web
http://www.ecologiadeisitiweb.it/
Hops Libri - A book to build a both usable and
accessible site in the real world (only italian)