Re: Examples of language changes in websites

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 09:25:42 -0800
Cc: "'Web Content Accessibility Guidelines'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
To: "Yvette P. Hoitink" <y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl>

On Thursday, December 4, 2003, at 01:45 AM, Yvette P. Hoitink wrote:
> The game is called "bullshit bingo", not "bovine excrements bingo" or
> another more acceptable term. Of course, it was never my intention to
> offend
> anyone, I just called the game by it's regular name. I would never use
> the
> word to reflect upon other people's ideas in a professional context.

FYI, another term for this game is "Buzzword Bingo", and may actually be
more common.  Compare:

(5,130 hits)

(9,450 hits)

The comic strip "Dilbert" helped to popularize the concept, which is
credited to Silicon Graphics founder Tom Davis:

For an international audience including American readers, it would
make more sense to refer to "buzzword bingo" instead of "bullshit

Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                     http://kynn.com
Chief Technologist, Idyll Mountain                http://idyllmtn.com
Author, CSS in 24 Hours                       http://cssin24hours.com
Shock & Awe Blog                                http://shock-awe.info