RE: HTML techniques - Title element (no blocker)

From: Geoff Deering <gdeering@acslink.net.au>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 17:30:44 +1100
To: "Yvette P. Hoitink" <y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

Pre Google, the title element and its contents were a major factor in search
engine rankings.  The title was used totry to define the content.  Even now,
on Intranet searches it greatly aids usability by having carefully thought
out and definitive titles.  Lots of Intranets and internal search engines
are just a mess of indistinguishable documents with titles and abstracts
blurring into each other because of the lack of attention given to this
issue.  Given that users search so much, its amazing that so little effort
is put into managing this.  But then again document management is not an
easy issue.

Geoff