RE: Conformance Claims and Logo

Hi all

I knew that one would start a conversation.  Because I see big problems both
ways and no way to solve them.

If something is copyrighted and inaccessible, it is a felony (Federal crime)
to create an accessible version in many cases.   Plagiarism and the
Millennium Copyright Act are two examples.  And there are more.

Also,  if you click on a document it downloads to your computer and you
expect it to be accessible.  (even HTML).

But if you click on a program and download it you think of it as a product,
not content.

So what if you click on a book?
A film?
A DVD?
A PDF?
A Movie stream?
A Video stream?
A Stock Quote stream in a proprietary (non copyable and therefore non-screen
reader compatible form)?

When is it content and when is it product?
When is it even legal to repackage the content accessibly (that therefore
pirate-able)?

However, we don't want to give blanket approval that content on a web site
can just be inaccessible if it came from somewhere else......

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Ind. Engr. & BioMed Engr.
Director - Trace R & D Center