Re: Avoid deprecated features query

From: Matt May <mcmay@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 17:08:00 -0700
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
To: Kynn Bartlett <kynnbartlett@yahoo.com> (by way of Wendy A Chisholm <wendy@w3.org>)

On Wednesday, June 4, 2003, at 03:22  PM, Kynn Bartlett (by way of
Wendy A Chisholm <wendy@w3.org>) wrote:
> The word "avoid" is one word that -- in the opinion of
> this Web development educator -- should be excised
> from WCAG entirely.  It tells us nothing and guides no
> one.

I agree that this word is problematic, and should be avoi-- er...

RFC 2119[1] defines terms like MUST, SHOULD, and MAY. This is the
standard for setting requirements or prohibitions in Internet
standards. If "avoid" indicates prohibition, it should be followed up
with a statement using MUST NOT; and/or indicate that "avoid" equals
MUST NOT in the glossary; or it should be replaced with "Do not use". I
suggest "Do not use".

-

[1]http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt