auto set focus and accessibility

From: Lisa Seeman <seeman@netvision.net.il>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 10:51:56 -0700
To: "W3c-Wai-Gl@W3.Org (E-mail)" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, "W3c-Wai-Pf@W3.Org (E-mail)" <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>
I came across something new as I was Jaws browsing along, and that is the
auto focused of the page had been set to a text box mid way down the page
(you can see it at

this made the screen reader start from the text box and miss the info above
It stumped me how they had managed to do this, but then I found in their
That did it.

Did I miss this in WCAG ?  it seems an accessibility issue.
It also may be an issue for the DOM object model - allowing a script to move
and control the focus and bounce you around the page without your knowledge.
All the best,

Lisa Seeman

UnBounded Access

Widen the World Web