From: Lisa Seeman [mailto:seeman@netvision.net.il]
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 1:52 PM
To: W3c-Wai-Gl@W3.Org (E-mail); W3c-Wai-Pf@W3.Org (E-mail)
Subject: auto set focus and accessibility

I came across something new as I was Jaws browsing along, and that is the
auto focused of the page had been set to a text box mid way down the page
(you can see it at
http://www.Amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/home/home.html/002-5628707-8901611
<http://www.Amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/home/home.html/002-5628707-8901611>
)

this made the screen reader start from the text box and miss the info above
it.
It stumped me how they had managed to do this, but then I found in their
code
onLoad="document.searchform.elements[1].focus()"
That did it.

Did I miss this in WCAG ?  it seems an accessibility issue.
It also may be an issue for the DOM object model - allowing a script to move
and control the focus and bounce you around the page without your knowledge.
All the best,

Lisa Seeman

UnBounded Access

Widen the World Web