Accessible Art Online at Tage Gallery

This is worth a look.  The Tate Gallery in London has developed a resource
designed to help people who are blind or visually impaired learn about works
by two major 20th-century artists, Picasso and Matisse.  There are two
versions of the resource: one uses text and Flash animation, while the other
uses text plus downloadable raised drawings.

The Flash animation provides keyboard support: "f" for forward, "d" for back
(don't know why they didn't use "b"!), "k" to zoom in (for a closer looK, I
guess)-- and "j" to jump out of the Flash movie and back to the orientation
text.  Smart; I've got Flash 6 installed, so would like to hear how it works
with Flash 5.

It's not quite as seamless as I'd like it to be (in the wildest dreams
department).  The resource has three frames, and the "title" frame includes
too much information for my taste: Artist's name, title of work, museum
cataloguing information, all of which you have to hear each time you step
forward or back in the animation.  Also, there's no skip-navigation link on
the pages that get you here, so again you have to wade through a lot of
extra stuff before you get to the heart of the page.

There are some glitches with the raised images, too.  The instructions at
http://www.tate.org.uk/imap/pages/raised.htm
<http://www.tate.org.uk/imap/pages/raised.htm>  provide a link  that says,
"Click here to open and save the PDF document that contains all the raised
drawings."  In other words, all the drawings are in a single PDF document.
It loads slowly (JAWS reported "Error loading document" several times before
it finally loaded), and for reasons I don't understand the "Save" and "Save
as..." options in Internet Explorer were reported as "not available," i.e.,
grayed out.  So I can't in fact save the file; all I can do is print it--
and that seems to be taking forever.

Of course PDF documents can't do "raised images" on their own, and certainly
my LaserJet can't produce them; but there are no instructions on the Tate
site about how to get the images produced in a raised format.  I presume you
have to print them, then find someone with a Reprtronics or some other
device that can handle the process.

But I'm impressed!  And I've sent these comments to the Tate as well; I'll
let you know what, if anything, I hear back.

John Slatin, Ph.D.
Director, Institute for Technology & Learning
University of Texas at Austin
FAC 248C, Mail code G9600
Austin, TX 78712
ph 512-495-4288, f 512-495-4524