Re: /colour/colourblindness.html

At 4:01 PM -0800 2/5/02, Charles F. Munat wrote:
>Anyone know if it would be possible to remap colors on a page using
>CSS in order to compensate for a specific type of color blindness?
>Could I write a user stylesheet that would take a page where color
>was used to encode information and remap those colors to something a
>person with deuteranope could see, for example?

It's possible, assuming that we're only talking about CSS. I'd
imagine you'd want something like this:

(1) Download the web page and CSS page. Analyze it for color use.
(2) Set up an appropriate color mapping for the specific type of
     color blindness.
(3) Apply that to the page and present to the user.

Step (3) is pretty easy. Step (1) is not so hard. Step (2) I'm not
sure how hard it is, but it may be relatively easy to do.

Unfortunately can't do it just by doing, e.g.:

(x) Apply a generic style sheet to a page.

You need to have that analysis and mapping and application
process. Sounds like a fun challenge. Anyone want to give me job doing
this? :)

--Kynn

Next Book: Teach Yourself CSS in 24       http://cssin24hours.com