Why navbars are important

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 05:27:09 -0500 (EST)
To: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
cc: WAI GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Because I read the navbar on most pages, and only skim the content generally
(until I get to where I wanted to be). In trying to get around a large site
(e.g. W3C, Universities, but many others too) I almost invariably find myself
trying to understand the person who created the navigation system, or people
who made the systems...

Chaals

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Jim Ley wrote:

  "Charles McCathieNevile":
  > Most particulrly this applies to
  > navigation bar text - in my opinion among the most important text on azn
  > average page.

  Could you explain why you have this opinion?  I find navigation bar text
  is the least important text on pages I visit, I'm visiting pages for
  content, I'm not visiting pages so as to find other pages through navbar
  links "Home" "stuff" aren't links I click on. Links within the content and
  links provided by search techniques are the links I find much more
  important - It's only normally personal pages where I use the navigation
  bar text links - and only then because it gives me a good insight into
  what I'm on the page for (to get a better understanding of the person.)

  Jim.