[CSS-TECHS] numbers instead of names, proposal

Jonathan,

I believe the statement (slightly modified to make it more exact) seems to be true:
"Any browser that supports CSS1 and/or CSS2 stylesheets supports the following 16 color names for use in style sheets (as outlined in CSS1 and CSS2):  aqua, black, blue, fuchsia, gray, green, lime, maroon, navy, olive, purple, red, silver, teal, white, and yellow"

Therefore, it doesn't necessarily mean they will be supported if using the HTML font element, which isn't being considered in the CSS Techniques document.

CSS3 has obviously taken it a step further. These 16 seem to be the lowest common denominator.

Therefore, I propose modifying the CSS Techniques to read as follows:
<proposal>
2.1 Color Contrast
·       Use numbers or one of the 16 CSS1/CSS2 color names to specify colors.
The CSS1/CSS2 color names are:
aqua, black, blue, fuchsia, gray, green, lime, maroon, navy, olive, purple, red, silver, teal, white, and yellow

Example.
   H1 {color: #808000}
   H1 {color: rgb(50%,50%,0%)}
   H1 {color: red}
End example.
Deprecated example.
   H1 {color: aliceblue}
End example.

The current draft of <a href="http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-css3-color-20010305#x11-color">CSS3 lists 140 color keywords</a>.  As this document moves through the W3C process and into implementations, we will revisit backwards compatibility issues with this wider palette.
</proposal>

--wendy

--
wendy a chisholm