From: Charles McCathieNevile [mailto:charles@w3.org]
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 4:41 PM
To: gian@stanleymilford.com.au
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: RE: rationalize presentation [was: Use consistent presentation]

Well, SVG has a lot of promise as a way to do what we really want.

I think what we actually want is to be able to provide both navigation
icons,
and text labels. I agree that SVG isn't going to be relied on in a
conservatively designed website for the next few months, so we really get to
having old image formats, and text. I do feel that CSS is sufficiently well
implemented in currently used browsers, so that using bitmap images of text
in place of styled text is not appropriate in an HTML page that claims to be
accessible to a reasonable degree.

cheers

Chaals