Re: acronym/abbr expansion

aloha, again, alexander!

i neglected to mention that another potential solution is to use Ruby to
annotate the acronym and/or its expansion:
http://www.w3.org/TR/ruby/

the use of Ruby as both a "glossing" mechanism and a pronunciation guide
has been broadly discussed within WAI and with the internationalization
people (whose arcane acronym i can never remember)

gregory.

At 02:53 PM 4/13/02 +0400, you wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>I'm translating XHTML Basic 1.0 into Russian
>
>Take a look at the following fragment please:
>
>      <acronym title="Extensible HyperText Markup Language">XHTML</acronym>
>
>becomes
>
>        <acronym title="Rashiryayemiy yazik razmetky
> giperteksta">XHTML</acronym>
>
>Do I have to indicate the xml:lang of the latest acronym as "en"
>(The html xml:lang attribute is "ru")?
>
>Is it correct to translate the title without the acronym itself?
>
>Other examples include various acronyms and abbreviations like
>"W3C", "PDF", "Co.", "Inc.", "Ltd.", "DTD", "WAP", "WML", "SGML" etc.
>
>Martin Duerst suggested that I don't translate the acronym titles and
>that I and add the text in Russian after the acronym:
> > For example
> > <acronym xml:lang='en' title="Extensible HyperText Markup
> Language">XHTML</acronym> (Rashiryayemiy yazik razmetky giperteksta)
> > or
> > XHTML (Rashiryayemiy yazik razmetky giperteksta)
> > (and maybe add the text only the first time, but some WAI
> > experts may know better)
>
>Looking forward to hearing from you.
>
>Best wishes.
>---
>   Alexander "Croll" Savenkov         http://www.thecroll.com/
>   w3@hotbox.ru                            http://croll.da.ru/

CONSERVATIVE, n.  A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as
distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with
others.                 -- Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_
             Gregory J. Rosmaita, unagi69@concentric.net
           Camera Obscura: http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/
      VICUG NYC: http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/vicug/index.html
  Read 'Em & Speak: http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/books/index.html