RE: Proposal for 1.5 success criteria

From: Gregg Vanderheiden <GV@TRACE.WISC.EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 13:02:46 -0600
To: "'Cynthia Shelly'" <cyns@microsoft.com>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

This just shows how hard this one is.
I don’t think we can have a checkpoint that asks the author to guess at
the capabilities of a user.  In this case do we mean
"a" user (i.e.  any one user) ?
"all" users (i.e. any user)?

The first means nothing since they could pick someone who can see, hear,

The second one asks for a conclusion based on knowledge the person
doesn’t have.

Can we do this in a way that doesn’t require any knowledge of the user
or his/her needs?  (which will be the case for most authors).

RE the second criterion

Do we have a tool that an author could use to test this?   I don’t know
of many people who could answer this by just looking at a page.
Especially if they created it with a Visual Authoring Tool and didn't
know HTML.

Cynthia --  I think these are progress but do you see the problems I'm
referring to?

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.