tone as a guildeline?

From: Gregg Vanderheiden <GV@TRACE.WISC.EDU>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 15:48:35 -0600
To: "'GLWAI Guidelines WG \(GL - WAI Guidelines WG\)'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
You wrote

Just as a side note, Jonathan Chetwynd has been interested in working
out whether we can say anything clear and helpful about "tone" - not
offending people, etc. This may be another scenario in which we think
about it a bit more. (I suspect we are a long way from having answers
that are acceptable as checkpoints, but we only get there by working on

Were you suggesting that one of the guidelines deal with tone?

If so -
Isn't that getting into content and affect rather than access?

What do people think?

(Need to know if adding a guideline on tone is something that needs to
go into open issues or not)

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Human Factors
Dept of Ind. Engr. - U of Wis.