Re: Problems with OTACS-2

At 01:36 AM 10/28/01 +0100, Jim Ley wrote:
>My conclusion is, plug-ins whether free or not can never be required for
>all groups, _but_ users with more specific needs should make best effort
>to use appropriate UA's and these include plug-ins.  So for example if in
>3.4, the site author provides images in SVG because they can generate that
>from their content, then it's not unreasonable to expect the user to
>provide the means to view it.  Cost shouldn't come into it, reasonableness
>should (of which cost is part of.)

The user groups who is expected to be accommodated by 3.4 are those with
cognitive, reading, and learning disabilities. They have no need to prefer
SVG over JPG, GIF, etc Rastor Images, unless they are also Visually
Impaired .... therefore, requiring SVG for 3.4 is impractical ... it has no
purpose in the intended benefactor group, although it may have benefits to
peripheral groups ...

Further, as it is presently, downloading an SVG reader does not result in
the intended benefits. It's still vaporware, and I've heard it said it's 5
years away from reality .... that is far past the scope of WCAG 2.0 ....

                                         Anne

>Jim.

Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com