Re: Problems with OTACS-2

"Anne Pemberton":
> At 01:36 AM 10/28/01 +0100, Jim Ley wrote:
> >My conclusion is, plug-ins whether free or not can never be required
for
> >all groups, _but_ users with more specific needs should make best
effort
> >to use appropriate UA's and these include plug-ins.  So for example if
in
> >3.4, the site author provides images in SVG because they can generate
that
> >from their content, then it's not unreasonable to expect the user to
> >provide the means to view it.  Cost shouldn't come into it,
reasonableness
> >should (of which cost is part of.)
>
> The user groups who is expected to be accommodated by 3.4 are those with
> cognitive, reading, and learning disabilities. They have no need to
prefer
> SVG over JPG, GIF, etc Rastor Images,

Nowhere did I suggest they did, I hypothesised about the situation where
the content author prefers SVG, because they can generate it, now
providing content only in a tech which requires a plug-in (and a very poor
one at that requiring hugely more processing power than Flash for
example.) is a no-no, however my proposition is that in giving alternative
content, it may not be unreasonable, to require a plug-in, it's a
reasonable enough expectation of users IMO.

> therefore, requiring SVG for 3.4 is impractical

I think I'd use the word Ludicrous, that wasn't the point I was trying to
make, hopefully I've clarified it, I think it was a mistake choosing 3.4
for the illustration.

Jim.