Re: Fw: March 2 F2F Minutes (checkpoint discussion)----Original Message-----

From: Matt May <mcmay@bestkungfu.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 14:59:23 -0800
To: "Anne Pemberton" <apembert@erols.com>, "WAI" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
----- Original Message -----
From: "Anne Pemberton" <apembert@erols.com>
>     Doesn't the Stop button stop all everything on the page? If so, what
is
> the problem? Does stop not exist or work the same way in all browsers?

In the case of the walking ants, the Stop button can't control that. All it
controls in IE on Windows, for example, is embedded audio and animated GIFs.
It's not a standard. Actually, the Stop button itself isn't even a standard
insofar as it's a user-agent widget. UAAG would have to specify its
behavior, and even then, the walking-ants analogy would probably sneak
through, as the Stop button would have to stop script execution on the page
to stop the motion of the ants, and there's no way to selectively disable
scripts or (that I'm aware of) to force cleanup/garbage collection on any
given script.

-