Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 17:14:43 -0000
From: Jon Hanna <jon@spinsol.com>
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: <HR> (was Re: Fleet Boston's...)

> what does that mean: don't use <hr> for presentational purpose?
> when and how are you allowed to use it?

<hr> has a semantic meaning - It means that what came before the rule
was very different to what was after it, or a logically separate
section of a long document, especially a numbered document.

Really the quote: 'Do not use ... horizontal rule "HR" for
presentation purposes.'

should be 'Do not use any HTML tags for presentation purposes'. There
were some HTML tags with presentation purposes, but thankfully
they're being phased out.

gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!
gpg: Signature made Wed Mar  7 12:14:39 2001 EST using DSA key ID F532BD18