Re: Vector Graphical Alternatives

The generic requirement is for [markup and/or external metadata, if reliably
usable] indicating a range of relationships to cover but not necessarily be
identical to the notion of "equivalency" as used in WCAG 1.0.

Longdesc is as presently defined inappropriate.  html:object and smil:switch
fit to some degree.  These are also not dead center in their connotations.  We
need the capability to know the relationship in some subtlety, but also to be
able to say vague things.  What you are getting into is the need for a better
information model concerning accessible content, and implementation of this
information model via Web format syntax(es).

See

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-tech-comments/2000Oct/0001.html>ht
tp://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-tech-comments/2000Oct/0001.html

for where this has been raised as an XHTML 2.0 wishlist item.

Al

<<http://infomesh.net/sbp/>http://infomesh.net/sbp/> .