Re: Reapproaching WCAG 2.0

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 17:20:40 -0000
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, "William Loughborough" <love26@gorge.net>, "Kynn Bartlett" <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Cc: "Wendy A Chisholm" <wendy@w3.org>, "Jason White" <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU>
> I would say that you can fold even further and state as one
> guideline, 'all people should be able to use the Web'.

Very true indeed; I'd like to see it as an ontological hierarchy (e.g. a
tree) rather than a list (of points). But of course, ultimately, WCAG 2.0
would be a Web - a modularized Web. Look at CSS3: that is now
modularized...XHTML did it a long time ago. Modularization is the way
forward I think, and neither lists or similar hierarchies are as
expressive.

So what then? Well, I think Kynn's gedankenexperiment of having a WCAG 1.5
was a highly valid one. Clear up WCAG, and then express it better... but I
feel that the fight is lost and that we should have been discussing this a
long time ago. I did propose that WCAG 2.0 be a Web of accessibility points
before, but was strangely ignored... maybe I didn't set out a clear enough
goal...

Time to start work on WCAG 3.0 then? :-)

--
Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer