Re: shockwave on NT was Graphic Designers work - potential for WCAG?

From: Adam Victor Reed <areed2@calstatela.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 10:44:42 -0700
To: Anne Pemberton <apembert@erols.com>, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 07:18:46AM -0400, Anne Pemberton wrote:
> Hmmmm .... and we have continual crashes on the NT machines when we try to
> use sites with shockwave games. Wonder what is causing the problem?
>
> 				Anne

The problem is that in NT, dynamically loadable libraries (DLLs)
are shared among applications, and many application distributions
include non-standard replacements for standard DLLs. Thus it is
possible that you have installed an application which includes a
DLL that is not compatible with shockwave.

This is really an architecture-level defect in NT (and W2000 etc.)
In Unix/Linux, LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a per-process variable, so that this
sort of thing cannot happen. There is no fix in NT/W2000 short of
scrapping Microsoft's defective architecture.

--
				Adam Reed
				areed2@calstatela.edu

Context matters. Seldom does *anything* have only one cause.