Re: shockwave on NT was Graphic Designers work - potential for WCAG?

Adam,

	Thanks for a good explanation. If I could figure out what applications
have the problematic DLLs, I could choose to run those on certain machines
leaving the others available to shockwave. As I said, the problem doesn't
happen on machines running W98, only on the ones with NT.

	Unix or Linux isn't, to my experience, a useful substitute because it
doesn't run the software we need to use.

				Anne

At 10:44 AM 5/23/01 -0700, Adam Victor Reed wrote:
>On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 07:18:46AM -0400, Anne Pemberton wrote:
>> Hmmmm .... and we have continual crashes on the NT machines when we try to
>> use sites with shockwave games. Wonder what is causing the problem?
>>
>> 				Anne
>
>The problem is that in NT, dynamically loadable libraries (DLLs)
>are shared among applications, and many application distributions
>include non-standard replacements for standard DLLs. Thus it is
>possible that you have installed an application which includes a
>DLL that is not compatible with shockwave.
>
>This is really an architecture-level defect in NT (and W2000 etc.)
>In Unix/Linux, LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a per-process variable, so that this
>sort of thing cannot happen. There is no fix in NT/W2000 short of
>scrapping Microsoft's defective architecture.
>
>--
>				Adam Reed
>				areed2@calstatela.edu
>
>Context matters. Seldom does *anything* have only one cause.

Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com

http://www.erols.com/stevepem
http://www.geocities.com/apembert45