Re: summary of new issues from this week's list discussions

From: gregory j. rosmaita <oedipus@hicom.net>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 04:39:59 -0400
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
aloha, wendy!

first of all, i have to say that the WCAG2 issues list is a thing of
beauty...  and then quickly add that that opening line was not a setup for
the rest of this emessage!

my proposal, as amended in response to gregg's request for conflation, and
which i, too, vastly prefer to my first iteration, is:

Using appropriate markup, define the natural language of each
document, indicating any changes.

the reference is:

i also find anne's terse restatement of my proposal,

Identify the natural language of each document and mark up any changes.

found at:

quite intriguing, although i think the "using appropriate markup" bit is
extremely important, so that, for example, people don't use JavaScript cued
to OnMouseOver to provide an implementation-specific simulation of what can
be done in an accessible/interoperable manner using Ruby... i'm still not
sure whether we should say just say "document and/or document fragment", but
then, wouldn't fragments pulled into a document already be covered by the
marking up any changes bit?

PS: general info about Ruby Annotation activity at the W3C can be found at:
Ruby Annotation became a W3C Technical Recommendation on 6 April 2001; the
TR can be found at: