Re: Graphic Designers work - potential for WCAG?

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 19:23:18 -0700
To: "Matt May" <mcmay@bestkungfu.com>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
At 04:31 PM 5/22/01 -0700, Matt May wrote:
>the most effective repurposing of an awful lot of content depends on that
>content being restructured (or even rewritten) for the medium.

Hence the Device Independent Activity (and Working Group) within W3C where
the same song is sung repeatedly. It's also a fact that the i18n activity
is faced with a lot of these problems.

The possibility of repurposing in this "medium" is stronger than in the
examples Matt cites (TV, newspapers, magazines), but it will remain
divisive. I believe that if we are to claim that there even can be alt-text
but deny that there can be alt-illustration we will find ourselves with
endless (and IMO justifiable) complaints about our opacity/hypocrisy.

And the fact that the "original" design of HTML was for academicians is
barely even of interest.

Text is not sacred.

--
Love.