RE: Graphic Designers work - potential for WCAG?

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 19:15:04 -0700
To: Anne Pemberton <apembert@erols.com>, "Bailey, Bruce" <Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org, "'Wendy A Chisholm'" <wendy@w3.org>
Cc: "'Meg Ross'" <Meg@digitalMeg.com>
At 07:26 PM 5/22/01 -0400, Anne Pemberton wrote:
>Could an earcon be made available to a speech reader

"could" is one of those seemingly usable words that bring out a tendency to
temporize. In CSS there are audio flavorings but they are essentially
unimplemented and also clearly thought of as speech mechanisms. We use them
as "system event markers" but seldom (as in never?) in a Web context. It's
something that will happen, so I guess they "could be made available" -
they just aren't in any practical sense.

Like the now popular practice of using "skins" to personalize stuff on
one's own system, they will probably be like the "sounds" selections for
system events for a long time to come - if they ever get started.

T.V. Raman's emacspeak environment makes them part of a desktop scene but
that's essentially another planet.

--
Love.
                 ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE