Illustration - checkpoint proposal

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 09:33:05 -0400 (EDT)
To: WAI GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
I am not sure whether this fits in overall (I think so) or in specific
checkpoints. If people think this proposal is worth following up I can
fill out the examples stuff a bit better with more complete ones, and
information about who it is supposed to help and so on.

anyway, here is the proposal:

proposed checkpoint
For any description of a process or a of relationships, provide a graphic
equivalent.

Techniques stuff...
1.
Use case: A description of how to decide whether someting is conformant to
WCAG

Method: Draw a flowchart

2.
Use Case: Describing a network

Method: represent the original in RDF and use an RDF to image service to
generate an image

Example:

A textual explanation (of sorts): http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG-access/#Structured

The RDF is incorporated in the SVG version of the image:
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG-access/rdfnet.svg
There is a gif/png version too:
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG-access/wholenetwork

The resulting diagram (generated from the RDF - doesn't matter if the
existing image is there or not):
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG-access/rdfnetViz.png

3.
Use Case: A recipe for cooking a pavlova

Method: provide step by step drawings of a process

4.
Use case: A description of how to plait a stockwhip or belt

Method: provide a movie demonstrating how to do the process

5.
Use case: A description of how to make a medieval-style tent

Method: Provide illustrations of the key steps