From: Al Gilman [mailto:asgilman@iamdigex.net]
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2001 7:13 AM
To: Slaydon, Eugenia; w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Cc: jongund@staff.uiuc.edu; ij@w3.org; dde@w3.org; 'gregory j. rosmaita'
Subject: RE: Extensive forms & tables accessibility question

Eugenia,

I can't let this thread die without raising two more radical approaches.

It is important that we get the individual data entry fields to be
self-explanatory, as we have discussed.  On the other hand, the tabular
organization, and working within the limitations of HTML Forms technology
are
not necessarily the best way to solve this particular application.

** Narrative workbook:

First, consider taking the text of the instructions for the form, and
distributing the entry fields in that.  This will give you a workbook
which, on
submittal, can be in the form of the summary table for confirmation.  The
example you give is a typical Government form where despite our best
attempts
at built-in documentation, the question asked for each input field is not
understandable without reference to the instructions.  In a narrative
workbook
form, it would be easy to use LABEL for the edit boxes which is reasonably
well
supported per the  report of Kelly Ford.
<<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2001AprJun/0303.html>http:
//lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2001AprJun/0303.html>
Putting the data entry opportunities in a tabular array is a cultural legacy
from when we were doing things on paper.  If we are doing this data entry on
computer, it makes as much sense to blend the entries with the instructions
as
it does to collect them.  Advanced data collection applications will retain
local data object and allow editing in either view.  But let's just presume
we
are doing it one way at a time, here.

** Schema-driven automated reporting.

The second level of reform has to do with documenting the questions in
machinable form.  The fact that this form is a web form to be filled in by a
person is a cost savings at the Department of Education and a major cost
adder
at the educational institutions required to provide the reports.  There
will be
a significant net savings to the educational institutions collectively and
hence to the taxpayers and students, when this system is successfully
migrated
to a system like XForms where there is a machine-comprehensible model of the
questions so that the educational institutions can keep records that match
an
Education Department published schema and then run this report
automatically by
a query processor.

"Workflow" situations, like this example of partially aggregated fiscal
reporting between management levels, are not economically well served by the
HTML forms in HTML 4.01 (equivalently XHTML 1.1).  So we should all be
looking
forward to the next step of migrating these reporting activities to
schema-based forms.

I have been assuming that you are a web contractor in this situation and do
not
have an easy path to take either of these more radical approaches.  But
given
the example we have looked at, people should be aware that there is no
fundamental reason why the table should be there at the point of data entry,
and that there are advantages to other ways of doing things.

Al