Re: Please Help me understand

From: Jonathan Chetwynd <jay@peepo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 13:53:01 -0000
To: "Marti" <marti47@MEDIAONE.NET>, "Anne Pemberton" <apembert@crosslink.net>
We all without exception like what we know.
academic types (not being personal) like lots of text.

That one is fairly clear, though I expect some members object.

Text readers as far as I know present a voice unknown, this can be
unpleasant and thus hard to comprehend.

The flow of the text may not suit the listeners ability.
I have on many occassions recommended the use of a meta tag to indicate
difficulty ogf comprehension.
Many members commented on how awful sentence parsers are.
The fact is they are better than nothing.

Years ago I built a small spider in Visual Basic, it checked for things like
the number of pictures per page, I soon realised that the first thing it
needed to do was reject sites that had more than 30 words per page.
Thousands of pages later I tried something else.

Unfortunately even this tack is wrong because good stories when read well
are long and understandable.

It aint a simple problem, and insisting on universal solutions is not
helping authors meet this huge need.

jay@peepo.com

Jonathan Chetwynd
special needs teacher and