Please Help me understand

From: Marti <marti47@MEDIAONE.NET>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 07:04:51 -0500
To: "Anne Pemberton" <apembert@crosslink.net>
While I would certainly never argue that graphics are not an important part
of the web experience, after following this discussion for several days I
still don't understand why those who have difficulty with reading can't use
the same tools to have text read to them that the visually impaired use.
While this does not address the needs of all, it would seem that at least
those that cannot read (dyslexic?, illiterate?) would benifit from having
the text read aloud, including the alt attribute for graphics especially
where those graphics are pictures of words.
As for the use of some 'symbolic' communication I wonder if the appropriate
way to address this isn't with user software. The visually impaired employ a
screen reader, Braille display, or whatever of their choice to translate
screen text into a useable format for them. Perhaps user end software could
be developed to translate that same text into a useable format for other
disabilities?
Marti