last call: longdesc media type issue

I think we can close this issue, as far as what we ask W3C format-defining
working groups to do, based on the discussion to date.  This does not in
any way force the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines to recognize any
particular novel technology as readily available in the user agent context,
not does it impede the GL group from continuing to refine the advice
available to authors in the Web Content Accessibility Techniques or a
future revision of the Guidelines.

In summary, here is the action plan that I would like to place under a
48-hour last call.  In other words, if you want to block action on this as
consensus, please speak up before 0800 GMT Wednesday, 1 Sept. 1999.

A: J. Brewer to communicate to HyperText CG:

1. No content-type constraint per_se should be imposed on the resource
referred to in LONGDESC.

2. The attribute should be used in a manner consistent with the Web Content
Accessibility Guidelines.  Please cite this document using the specific URL
<http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/#gl-provide-equivalents> in the
explanation of this attribute.

B: WCA WG to continue to expand as they see fit on usage guidelines, with
the general understanding that the referent of the LONGDESC is included in
the scope to which the WCAG applies whenever the IMG bearing that attribute
is in such a scope.

** Rationale:

In the last telecon there was an inconclusive discussion of the question
that came down from the HyperText Coordination Group about the possible
content type of the resource referred to by the LONGDESC attribute.

On the one hand, the description linked to by LONGDESC is part of the
safety net for users with visual disabilities.  Unless it works, and is
easy to use, there is a problem here.
On the other hand, there are non-text media forms that are adaptive in
various disability scenarios.  Using SMIL or HTTP content negotiation one
can offer both a text version and an automatic upgrade to sound for those
that can play it.  Under the range of options there could also be a
raised-line graphic or annotated SVG extract of the image.

It is appropriate for authors to be conservative in media use for LONGDESC.
 But it is not appropriate to legislate that conservatism by the means of a
content-type constraint on the referent of the LONGDESC attribute in format
specifications defining such an attribute.  The problem with using
multimedia LONGDESCs is not the formats but the implementation in User
Agents.  It is not reasonable to say text-to-speech is readily available
and sound is not.  The technical definition of content negotiation in HTTP
is sufficient for there to be a highly convenient multimedia version of a
LONGDESC.  If there is a shortfall, it is in the implementation of this
protocol by user equipment.  Thus this is a subject best addressed using
"until user agents" language in the Web Content Accessibility documents.

This is going once again through all the arguments which were considered
when the shift in language was made from "provide text alternatives.." to
"provide equivalents for audio and video."  I thought we had settled that.

To make the accessibility role of this attribute clear, it would be good
to suggest that format specifications include a link to

  <http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/#gl-provide-equivalents>

in their heuristic discussion of this attribute, where it is explained.

There is an open issue concerning how SMIL can incorporate audible
descriptions with sufficient flexibility.  This is under discussion between
the SMIL and PF groups at this time.

Even leaving that issue open, I would like to close the "type of LONGDESC
referent" with the action plan set out at the top of the message.

Thank you,

Al