RE: Cognition (was Re: Suggested issues that may be addressed in next version of guidelines)

At 10:50 AM 8/3/1999 -0400, Chuck Hitchcock wrote:
>We have also created a very basic introduction to the use of images, alt tags
>and descriptions at http://www.cast.org/strategies/image_barrier.html.

Chuck, I checked this out yesterday, and my conclusion is that it
approaches the problem "bassackward". Your directions assume that graphics
are being included and say how to do it so it doesn't impose barriers to
those who cannot see the graphics, but it doesn't do much to encourage the
use of images, doesn't mention the need to correlate illustrations to the
content of the text, and doesn't mention how to set up graphics so they
appear small on the page but can be clicked on to see the full size
picture. Nowhere is there mention that as surely as there are folks who
cannot use graphics as presented, there are also folks who cannot use text
when presented without graphics. There are no guidelines on choosing
appropriate picture and/or icons, only guidelines on what you have to do if
you insist on including the dern things!

				Anne
Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1
http://www.erols.com/stevepem/apembert