RE: Cognition (was Re: Suggested issues that may be addressed in next version of guidelines)

From: Chuck Hitchcock <chitchcock@cast.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 08:31:56 -0400
To: "Anne Pemberton" <apembert@crosslink.net>, "Web Content Accessibility Guidelines" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Anne,

Thank you for the feedback on the image activity.  It serves as an initial
introduction for teachers to a few of the basic principles pertaining to alt
text, d tags, and selection of images.  You are right.  It is far from
complete and you will find that same is true of the auditory activity page.

Some of your recommendations are subjective opinions on how to present images
or graphics that may require some discussion.  We have been experimenting with
the use of full images, iconic representations of images that may be clicked
to provide the full image in a second window, single column text with images
along side but not intruding into the text area, etc.  We are discovering, as
you might expect, that the best choice depends on purpose and individual
preferences.  We'll keep at it.

Chuck