Re: Checkpoint 3.7: Big Hurdle for Double-AA/Triple-AAA Compliance

From: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 08:11:38 +1000 (AEST)
To: Web Content Accessibility Guidelines <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Does anyone have a suggestion as to how this issue can best be resolved?
As explained in an earlier message, there are problems with Ian's
suggestion to use the &quot; character entity instead of the Q element to
denote in-line quotations. Specifically, I have argued that correct
braille presentation requires maintenance of the distinctions between
double and single, opening and closing quotation marks respectively; and I
am unaware of a backward-compatible means of doing so. Does Unicode (or
ISO 8859-1 which is what most older user agents support) include distinct
opening and closing single quotation marks?

If not, I think the best solution would be to leave the requirement in
checkpoint 3.7 as is.