Re: Checkpoint 3.7: Big Hurdle for Double-AA/Triple-AAA Compliance

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 10:58:50 -0400 (EDT)
To: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>
cc: Web Content Accessibility Guidelines <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
I would suggest leaving the requirement as is - for those who want to avoid Q
there is the argument that 11.1 allows that at the moment, but the value of
having the quotation marked up rather than identified by what Jason has
pointed out are ambiguous cues seems to argue against a change. Another
approach (which is regularly used in print typography) is to apply a
different styling to Q elements - this gives a visual cue which, like the use
of quotation marks, has been widely used for longer than my lifetime.

Charles McCN